Friday, January 11, 2008

Island Creek Creeking

I got up this morning thinking about the ton of rain East Tennessee and the Cumberland Plateau received thinking that there was no way I would be able to leave work and go boating. After a few phone calls, I was able leave work just after 1pm to go to Island Creek in the Obed/Emory System. Anton and I showed up at the bridge gauge to find a nice level.

Gary came along to run shuttle as he is recovering from a shoulder dislocation a few weeks ago. With my Jackson Mega Rocker having some warranty issues, I borrowed Gary's Liquidlogic Jefe Grande...and what a sweet boat it is.

We headed downstream to find a quiet narrow gorge with clear water and nice slides into holes. We scouted the class IV Compound Fracture and scouted the sliding ledge near the end of the run.



Island Creek is a crown jewel of the Obed/Emory Watershed. It's full of slides and non-stop creeking action. I am home now with a big smile on my face just thinking about what a great creek Island Creek really is.

No comments: