Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2007 Year End Review

2007 has come and gone. I decided last January to start keeping up with every day that I paddled, what river I ran, and other key information. Looking back, it was an amazing year for me even though most of the Southeastern US was in a severe drought. I paddled 54 days and 318 miles. I had 5 swims and 4 personal first descents.

2007 also rung in a 1 year anniversary since having shoulder surgery in May 2006 to repair a torn labrum. The year proved a much stronger shoulder and an ability to boat class IV whitewater again. Looking back, I am very glad I had the surgery. September brought a return trip to the Upper Gauley since my personal first descent of the Upper Section in September 2005 which was prior to my injury. October also brought back a return trip to the Russell Fork Gorge since prior to my injury too.

2007 brought 4 new personal first descents. January brought my first adventure down the Suicide Section of Little River Canyon in Alabama, September brought the Upper Youghiogheny in Maryland, and December brought the North Fork of the French Broad in North Carolina and the Middle Fork of the Little Pigeon (Greenbriar) in Tennessee.

November 2007 shocked the paddling community. Georgia Power decided not to release water for the November releases down Tallulah Gorge State Park due to a severe drought in the area. The Tallulah River was only running 25 cfs.

March 3, 2007 brought back memories and completed an adventure that had started in September 2006...the first known completed descent of Saint Mary's River in Virginia. Adam Goshorn and I did the first descent in September 2006 but found the river's major rapids too high to run. In March, Adam Goshorn, Dustin Bunch, John Howard, and myself went back and ran all the rapids.
The First Ledge on Saint Mary's River, Virginia

In 2008, I am looking to strengthen my paddling skills toward more consistent class IV and class V rivers. I am hoping to return to North Chickamauga, in Chattanooga, Tennessee, this year and to run the Tiney Piney near Rockwood, Tennessee. Well see what the water brings our way!

No comments: